Wednesday, June 1, 2011

I TOO FELL IN LOVE


I did not realize when my friends told me about the disorder in their sleeping pattern. At a point of time, everyone around me had a person to share their things to! Every one to whom I was close to, kind of alienated themselves, not much but variably. I was perplexed, paranoid, confused. Wondered, where did those guitar classes, happy meeting on Sunday’s, football classes go. None of my friends turned up. I felt amused at this relation that they were holding to.

~
A week later I ran in to this friend and asked him to give me company on a Saturday evening after school. He refused. He said he had to go for a dance show! I was bewildered, the guy who made the chick in my class cry her heart out teasing her about her dance, was attending the very same girls dance show. Where the hell was this all heading to - I mused. I did not arrive at a concrete solution.

I went to my mom, and asked her permission to make a late night call to my friend that night to ask him about this change. She side glanced me, reminded me that the time was eight. But I convinced her, got the phone, and went up to my room to finish the business with the men who lost their heads! "Hh...Hello is He there?" I inquired. But his mom replied he was sleeping. I called up the other gentleman to ask his scene. His phone was busy. I left him a message to return my call, knowing his parents had left him to their servant. Grey, the latter mentioned gentleman, showed up the next morning. He did not talk about the calls, texts anything. He smiled as he waved and sat on his place. I approached him, asked him to confront and he did! In fact they all did. They all now spoke as real gentlemen; they spoke of so many things which went above my head. Date, dinner with her, red roses, scented cards? Whets all this? And why now, when New Year is about to come? - I paused to question them. Valentine's Day, was their only answer.

You mean, valentine, a girl friend, it took time for me to register that word into my pot head. I went to Grey and asked him if that aint a swear word. After that, everything was self explanatory. I was embarrassed. At this point I felt my mom should have given me a girl's name. I was burning inside to have a valentine too, to erase my embarrassing moments. I went to the kitchen; saw my mom preparing supper. I roamed inside for some time and then went to the couch. I sat there, wondered for while as to how I should put this. I did not have the sack, like my fellow gentlemen. Left to my room, eating cookies! I thought my life cannot be just about eating cookies and asking permission for making late night phone calls. I am no more a boy, but a man. I gathered all the left out guts and went to the dinning hall. Now I see another man in front of me - my dad! How am I going to act, how do I bring it, where did my hypothetical mustache go, I panicked rubbing the skin between the upper lip and my nose.

"Mom, Dad! What do you think about me getting married?” I asked! Period... Later on, I regretted, as that was the worst thing a ten year old could have asked. They patted my head and spoke of something else. How could I do this, what is wrong in having a valentine this time, why don anyone understand my anxiety? Questions after questions annoyed my mind.

Weeks later, I found her finally. New neighbors, my mom shouted as I ran down to take a peek. She wore a pink frock. She waved at me as she smiled. I became quick friends with her. I thought she was the one! I did not attend my friends calls, did not go for football practice, did not do anything productive, but I played stone, paper, scissors with her, just to touch her flawless soft skin.

We became good friends as days went by. We shared almost everything be it a choco pie cookie to catching a place in the yoga class. I was so close to her that I forgot how the days passed by. The feeling was so different. Talking over the phone without mom finding it and crying for silly fights, such a bliss the days were.

"Aie, How do i pedal if u ride this fast", she grimaced; as he stood there with her little cycle. Boy, she looks stunning in that frock. She stood there with tears as she fell from her cycle.

“Ahm, Well I was taught by my dad. Din your dad teach you how to ride one?”

“Nope. My dad and my mom are divorced and half my life went in juggling between them before I could I settle down in here with my dad, she smiled as she said”.

“Alright, do not worry, I will teach you how to ride the bicycle. Okay?”

“She nodded and smiled, then left”.

Next day, again we tried moving the cycle as slowly as we could while she looked very panicky and tensed. The street looked widened, faded and deserted and there I stood with my lady love teaching her to take tiny steps in her bicycle. “Okay, See how I glide through in my cycle and then I will show you too how to ride. Ok, Deal? Watch me now. She watched me for few minutes, as I glided through the deserted streets like a rocket. Few minutes later, I stopped it and parked the bicycle beside her, and made her sit on her cycle and made her take tiny little steps by asking her to peddle it front and back.
Two days, I tried showing her patiently as to how to pedal. I forgot to quickly twist my cycle at the ends of the road to create fine dusts. I slowly moved the cycle just for her, but it did not help her. She could not pedal, she took one step and she fell the next minute, scratching her small hands. I never lost hope; I smiled at the poor thing, made her sit on the cycle, held her cycle from behind. She turned and warned me never to leave the cycle. I vowed. She moved few steps now, "much better unlike before, come on u can do it", I shouted. Three weeks I was her master. I felt so great when she rode her cycle graciously unlike before. I never felt so happy when I stood class first, but was beyond happiness when she rode her cycle. “Gosh, what was happening to me? I pondered.” But whatever that was, I felt good, and happy.


I decided to ask her for a date, give her red roses, scented cards, and kiss her hand. The last part was my thing. I wanted to be different from the rest of my gentlemen bees who flocked around my class queen bees, while I got the queen of the queen’s bee with me. I never really liked similes and metaphors, but now Shakespeare was my god, Romeo and Juliet was the best thing that the world can have! How could I change so much, has she really got in to me? I sneaked the phone in to my closet every night only to talk to her. I could not sleep; I puked that night, because there was this weird feeling. A sense of anxiety, happiness, nervousness, a state of impulse to capture everything, gushed in to my muscles, nerves and veins, in to the stomach and settled in the esophagus out through the mouth. Is this all about valentines? Girl friend? scented cards and roses? - I lay flat dreaming.

I rehearsed profusely to make my valentine day perfect. "Hi, You want to come for a date?” Hi, What say a cup of coffee?" so on and so forth! Finally I got the perfect pick up line. Few days for the Valentines Day, I was all excited and happy. I went to my mom and dad, told them about my valentine stuff, iterated the pickup line, and stood still for their comments. My mom hugged me, while my dad called me the champ as I had his exact love genes, that passed on to me without any flaw. I went to my room, stared at the roof, fell asleep.

Few days and she was gone. She went to her mom's place. Her parents were divorced and for the next six months she would stay with her- I got the info. I felt something cracking deep down inside me. I ran to my house, up to my room, shut the door, and cried my heart out. That suit which hung on the wall laughed at me, those scented cards smelt lousy, and the roses are dead by now. I was a valentine-less boy.

14th February, I woke up, went down to the kitchen. I saw my mom and dad hugging. I went and hugged them too. I was over with that trauma. I wiped my tears and gave my mom red roses and the scented card, told her the pickup line and I kissed her hand!

I ran to my room, looked out of my window in to her house and felt that I too was in love a week back! I smiled!

No comments:

Post a Comment